Famous for its floodlit waterhole Okaukuejo Rest Camp is also the administrative centre of Etosha. Most visitors travel though this camp with its characteristic stone tower and Etosha Ecological Institute is also situated within the camp.
The rest camp was formerly a military outpost founded in 1901 and the tower was added in 1963. Located in the south of Etosha National Park, Okaukuejo is only 17 km from Anderson Gate. Okaukuejo offers a wide range of accommodation as well as all the necessities such as a petrol station and a shop. The restaurant and bar offer refreshments and delicious meals, while the swimming pool offers relief on hot days. The waterhole is a hub of animal activity starting in the early hours of the morning. Especially during winter diversity of game congregate in close proximity to the camp to quench their thirst.
After sunset floodlights illuminate the waterhole. This is the best time and place to see the endangered black rhino. This archaic mammal can often be seen drinking alongside lion and elephant. The number and interaction of the animals is the major drawcard of Okaukuejo Rest Camp in Namibia.
Etosha’s busiest camp offers different types of accommodation ranging from camping to chalets overlooking the famous waterhole:
- The Waterhole Chalets perfectly situated overlooking the popular waterhole allowing guests to view game from their patio or balcony. These units are en-suite and are available as double rooms or premier chalets with two bedrooms.
- The Bush Chalet offers ample living space with a lounge and braai area as well as an en-suite bathroom.
- Comfortable Double Rooms offer a good night’s rest with en-suite bathrooms, a fridge and tea facilities.
- The Campsite is ideal for nature lovers and offers communal ablution facilities.
You will find the following facilities at Okaukuejo Rest Camp:
- Curio shop
- Petrol station
- Famous floodlit waterhole
|En-Suite Rooms||Game Viewing||No Stargazing|
|Restaurant||Bird Watching||No Angling|
|Tourist Shop||Wildlife||No Kiosk|
|Swimming Pool||Conference Facilities||No Spa|
|Secure Parking||Braai Facilities||No Walking Trails|
|Disabled Access||Petrol Station||No 4×4 Trails|
- 5 x premier waterhole chalets
- 30 x waterhole chalet double rooms
- 2 x family chalets (2 rooms, 4 beds) with braai
- 25 x bush chalets (2 beds) with braai
- 40 x double rooms
Rates for Accommodation 2014 – 2015
|Dates||November 2014 – June 2015||July 2015 – October 2015|
|Type of Accommodation||Per Person Sharing||Single Person||Per Person Sharing||Single Person|
|Double Room A (2 beds)||N$ 715||N$ 715||N$ 1 045||N$ 1 155|
|Double Room B (2 beds)||N$ 748||N$ 748||N$ 1 078||N$ 1 188|
|Bush Chalet (2 beds)||N$ 825||N$ 825||N$ 1 100||N$ 1 210|
|Bush Chalet (Disable access 2 beds)||N$ 847||N$ 847||N$ 1 100||N$ 1 210|
|Family Chalet (4 beds) min 2||N$ 847||N$ 847||N$ 1 210||N$ N/A|
|Waterhole Chalet (2 beds)||N$ 920||N$ 920||N$ 1 400||N$ 1 500|
|Premier Waterhole Chalet (4 beds) min 2||N$ 1 350||N$ 1 350||N$ 2 400||N$ N/A|
Rates for Camping
Camping: N$ 220 per site ( Max 8 People ) + N$ 121 per person
Game Drives: Morning and Afternoon = N$ 330 pp
Night Drives: N$ 440 pp