Built into an old German Fort Namutoni Camp has a unique atmosphere. Within the fort you will find ample facilities and a variety of accommodation. From the walls of the fort you can enjoy an elevated view of the King Nehale Waterhole allowing for great game viewing without leaving the camp. The walls of the fort are also and excellent spot for sundowners. There is hardly a better way to end a day in the bush and Namibia than to marvel at the colours of the setting sun.
The Camp is situated in the eastern part of Etosha National Park and is accessible via the Von Lindequist Gate. Its close proximity to Fisher’s Pan makes Namutoni a hotspot for birders. Two restaurants, a craft shop, a pool and a viewing deck overlooking King Nehale Waterhole make the fort a great place to relax at lunchtime or after evening game drives. The African Fusion restaurant will introduce you to local flavours, while The Steakhouse offers popular western dishes. A superette, curio shop and petrol station allow you to stock up on everything that is necessary and nice.
Namutoni was originally established as a control post during the mad cow disease (BSE) epidemic of 1897 in Namibia. The fort was built be the German Schutztruppe from 1902-03 and rebuilt in 1906 after the Ovambo destroyed the original building. The fort served as a police post and later as a South African army base. Fort Namutoni was declared a national monument in 1950 and was opened to tourism in 1957.
The old fort makes the stay in Namutoni a unique experience. The rest camp offers three types of accommodation:
- The chalets are spacious and comfortable with two beds and an en-suite bathroom. This option offers the most privacy and is equipped with a patio and an outdoor shower. Wooden walkways connect the chalets to the restaurant and bar area.
- The Double Rooms offer an en-suite bathroom and private areas to both sides of the unit create in a comfortable space.
- The camping area has generously spaced sites with plug point and communal ablution facilities on either side of the campsite.
Namutoni Rest Camp offers the following facilities:
- Two restaurants: African Fusion and The Steakhouse
- Bush bar near the camping sites
- Bar in the fort area
- Curio shop
- Petrol station
- PoolWaterhole and view point
|En-Suite Rooms||Game Viewing||No Stargazing|
|Restaurant||Bird Watching||No Angling|
|Tourist Shop||Wildlife||No Kiosk|
|Swimming Pool||Conference Facilities||No Spa|
|Secure Parking||Braai Facilities||No Walking Trails|
|Disabled Access||Petrol Station||No 4×4 Trails|
- 20 x bush chalet (2 beds)
- 24 x double rooms
Rates for Accommodation 2014 – 2015
|Dates||November 2014 – June 2015||July 2015 – October 2015|
|Type of Accommodation||Per Person Sharing||Single Person||Per Person Sharing||Single Person|
|Double Room||N$ 715||N$ 715||N$ 891||N$ 1 001|
|Bush Chalet (2 beds)||N$ 891||N$ 891||N$ 1 078||N$ 1 188|
Camping: N$ 220 per site ( Max 8 People ) + N$121 per personRates for Camping
Game Drives: Morning and Afternoon = N$ 330 pp
Night Drives: N$ 440 pp